Friday, December 30, 2011

Spaghetti Sauce

It sure does smell yummy in our house right now.  Today I made a batch of homemade spaghetti meat sauce.  This is my second time to make the sauce.  The first time I followed my dear friend Jodi's recipe, but today I made some changes as I seem to do with all recipes.  The following is what I did:

2 large onions
1 bunch of celery
2 green bell peppers
5 cans of mushroom pieces
4 large cans of tomato sauce
1 large can of diced tomatoes
3 lbs. ground beef
3 pkg. of homemade spaghetti seasoning mix

Chop onions, celery and bell pepper in food processor--saute.  Brown meat and drain grease.  I combined everything into my big roasting pan and cooked all afternoon--I just turned it off. 

Homemade spaghetti seasoning mix
1 T dried minced onion
1 T cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 T dried parsley
1/4 tsp garlic powder
red pepper flakes to taste
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp sage
1/4 tsp marjoram
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil

Mix all together.  Makes one pkg. 

Once my sauce cools I will be putting it into quart freezer baggies.  I would love to can the sauce in glass jars it would be better for the environment, but I can't justify buying all the canning equipment just to can sauce.    This summer I would like to make this recipe again with fresh tomatoes from the farmer's market and fresh mushrooms if they have any.

No comments:

Post a Comment