Friday, January 6, 2012

Stewardship Review

Months ago, maybe even close to a year, I decide that I wanted to be a better steward of all that God has given me.  One of the main ways has been to work towards a waste free life.  So I have tried to not waste time, money and the environment.  I haven't done so well with not wasting time.  I did OK with the money and really did a lot this past year to improve our families affect on the environment.  We now only put out the trash once a month instead of twice a week.  We compost all food scarps (no meat), grass clippings, leaves, etc.  We all have lunch kits and use reusable container instead of baggies.  We have cut down on our water by using "gray" water for the plants.  For example if I soak a pot I would water a plant with that water instead of just pouring it down the drain.  We also have a pitcher to pour water in that someone didn't finish.  I take my shopping bags to the store and remember to take them in most of the time.  I make a lot of stuff from scratch now including cleaners and food.  I have also tried to use what we have instead of buy more stuff.  For example I did not buy an wrapping paper, bows, ribbon or bags this year for Christmas.  I used bags and tissue paper from last year and the boys made wrapping paper.  We had left over paper and paint supplies from a paint party and so the boys and the neighbors kiddos had a fun afternoon painting and I got some wrapping paper.

Things I tried and didn't like:
1. homemade mustard
2. homemade ketchup
3. cotton cloth with safety pins instead of dryer sheets
4. homemade shampoo

Things I tried and liked:
1. homemade mayo
2. homemade Italian  & ranch dressing
3. homemade oreos
4. homemade soft scrub & glass cleaner
5. 7th generation compostable dryer sheets
6. homemade hummus
7. dive cup (ladies google this, I got my from amazon)
8. homemade taco season, spaghetti season, onion soup mix
9. homemade face cleaner
10. hankies (no more tissues)

What I want to try in 2012:
1. homemade lotion
2. homemade deodorant
3. homemade hamburger buns
4. homemade pita bread and chips
5. buying resale instead of new (this one will be hard)
6. no "poo" hair cleaning method
7. homemade sunscreen & bug spray/lotion

I will let y'all now how all these new things turn out once I try them. 

1 comment:

  1. Such wonderful efforts Suzanne!!! I remember reading your shampoo story and wanting to mail you a bottle of Suave :) lol...I felt so bad for your trials! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete