Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Why Homemade?

Besides that it is super fun to make homemade products there are several reasons I choose homemade.
1. Better for my family--I know exactly what is in the food or product I make.
2. Better for the environment
3. Usually but not always cheaper

Here is what I have made in the last couple of weeks.

Whole Wheat Bread recipe can be found at http://tammysrecipes.com/homemade_wheat_bread.  We all really like the bread and it is very close to store bought sandwich bread.  Now I know exactly what is in the bread my family eats and no plastic bag and twisty tie to throw away.

Deodorant--I will give you the recipe only after we see if it works.

Dishwasher detergent--so far it is working well, but will let y'all know after several weeks.

Bath salts--I am giving this to a friend so I will let y'all know what she thinks.

Breakfast tacos--I made these tacos to place in the freezer and then Josh can just grap one to go each morning.  After making the tortillas I filled them with scrambled eggs and cheese.  I wrapped each taco in a paper towel and then foil.  The foil allows them to be frozen and the paper towel allows them to be place in the microwave (remove foil first).

Flour tortillas
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup warm water

Combine flour and salt in medium bowl.  Use a fork to rub shortening into flour.  Stir in water until dough forms.  Knead dough on floured surface 2 to 3 minutes until smooth and elastic.  Cover and let stand 30 minutes at room temperature.  Knead dough a few times. Divide evenly into 8 pieces for 10 inch or 12 pieces for 12 inch tortillas.  Shape pieces into balls; cover with cloth to keep from drying out.  Using rolling pin, roll out each dough ball on floured surface, turning over frequently, into circles.  Heat ungreased heavy griddle or skillet over medium-high heat until a little water sprinkled on surface sizzles.  I like to use my electric griddle and cook 6 tortillas at a time.  Cook about 30 seconds until top is bubbly and bottom is flecked with brown spots.  Turn tortillas over; cook 20 seconds until flecked with brown spots.  If tortilla puffs up while second side is cooking, press it down gently with spatula.  Remove tortilla to foil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment