Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Give It A Try

One of the things I wanted to try this year was homemade powdered dishwasher detergent.  Well, I tried making it twice and did not like it.  The detergent cleaned the dishes fine, was cheap and better for the environment than store brought detergent, but it clomped together and was very difficult to break apart to use.  Maybe I will try a homemade liquid detergent next.

I also recently made homemade sunscreen.  It was easy to make, smelt great and covered well.  However, I got burned pretty good when we used it.  I have switched back to store brought spray sunsceen.  The boys like the spray so much better.  I still may try making it again with a different recipe or look to buy a healthier sunscreen.  Through my research online I have found that many of the ingredients in sunsceen are unhealthy and can cause cancer.  The number of skin cancer cases actually went up when sunscreen was developed. 

Over the past 8 months or so I have tried two homemade deodorants.   They both have worked well.  Now these are not an antiperspirant so you will sweat.

Recipe #1

5-6 Tbsp Coconut oil
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch
In a glass bowl or measuring cup melt coconut oil in microwave.  Stir in baking soda and cornstarch.  Pour into an old cleaned out deodorant container.  Let set in fridge overnight to harden. 

**Note:  This is a winter time deodorant.  Coconut oil is solid only at temps below 76 degrees so once May comes around here in South Texas you may want to use something else to avoid the mess.

Recipe #2
Pour rubbing alcohol into a spray bottle.  Spray on arm pits.  The alcohol kills the bacteria that causes the smell. 

I will continue to share with y'all the new things I try.  If you have tried anything new please let me know how it worked.  I would love to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment