Wednesday, November 2, 2011

All Kinds of Thoughts

Howdy my blog friends.  It has been to long I know since I have posted--sorry.  Almost daily I think of something I would like to share on my blog, but it doesn't happen and then I forget what I wanted to say.  So this post is going to be fulled with all kinds of stuff.

First this morning I actually got up when my alarm went off and it was pretty amazing what I got done when I am not rushed to get everyone out the door on time.  And then the morning got better because I had to wake Jeffrey up.  Now waking Jeffrey up doesn't always go smoothly, but this morning he was so cute.  He was laying in his footy PJ's with his bottom stuck up in the air breathing so peacefully.  So I layed next to him for a little bit and rubbed his back and he started to grin.  What a precious moment. 

My two superheros!!!

 We had a great Halloween weekend.  Jeffrey's preschool held there annual fall festival on Saturday, which the boys love and Josh likes the big soft pretzels.  On Sunday was our church's annual trunk or treat.  Josh along with other men in our church cooked 1200 hot dogs for dinner.  There were about 30 cars/trucks for the kids to treat or trick to.  And several bounce houses, a train ride, a fire engine, cotton candy, snow cones and a cookie walk.  It was great family fun!  Then on Monday the boys treat or tricked in our neighborhood for the first time.  But what they enjoyed the most was handing out the candy to those who came to our house.  It makes me smile to see their eagerness to give and make another child smile. 

Jackson lost his first tooth on Oct. 19
 This is so yummy, even Josh really liked it.
 Baked Tomatoes, Squash, and Potatoes
2 T olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 small tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 med. yellow summer squash, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 med. Yukon gold potato, sliced 1/4 inch thick (I used sweet potato and baking potato slices)
salt and pepper
1 T fresh thyme leaves (I used dried)
2 T freshly grated Parmesan
Heat oven to 375.  Heat oil over medium and cook onion until tender and lightly golden, 6 to 8 minutes.  Arrange the onion on the bottom of a 9 x 13 dish. Overlap tomato, squash and potato on top of the onion.  Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with thyme and Parmesan and drizzle with oil.  Bake covered for 30 minutes.  Uncover and bake until golden, 30 minutes more.

Several months ago I posted about trying to live a more waste free life.  One way we have been doing that is composting.  Below are our three compost containers.  Two or getting pretty full and the third has lots of room.  It is pretty amazing to see how much we dump in these containers daily and they never get full because it all breaks down.  We have not actually used any of the broken down compost yet, but I look forward to it this spring
You can compost anything that was once alive.  Fruit and veggie scraps, any food really except meat products will smell bad and attract animals.  Items made of wood, cotton (like old socks or underwear just cut up really small first), grass, leaves, twigs,etc.

One last thing and then I must get some other things done.  Saturday afternoon we went by a friend's place to pick up some coolers they had left out for us.  Josh would be using them at church for the hot dogs.  When we got there they were so very dirty.  These coolers had been sitting out for much longer than just the night.  I immediately start complaining about my clean van getting dirty and having to more car seats and all that to get these two large coolers in.  Jackson is so like me and he also was upset by these events, but Jeffrey said in a very happy sweet voice, "Mommy you will only have to clean the back."  It made me stop and think that we get upset when God puts things in our lifes that are messy, but these messy things have a purpose just like the cooler had a purpose.  So today don't let the "dirty coolers" get in the way of seeing God work in your life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment