Monday, September 24, 2012

Tortilla Soup

About a month ago I made tortilla soup and it frozen beautifully.  So I will be having it for lunch today as I am home sick from preschool.  Here is the recipe:
 Homemade Tortilla Soup
4 cups homemade chicken broth
8 cherry tomatoes, halved or can of diced tomatoes or whatever you have on hand
1 zucchini, sliced
1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 large garlic clove, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 cups chicken breast meat, cooked and shredded
1/2 cup whole kernel corn
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped or 2 T. dried
Throw everything in a large pot.  Bring to a boil then reduced heat to a simmer.  Simmer for at least 30mins. or hours. 
Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, cheese, avocado, etc.
Before I made this soup I looked at many recipes online and then picked and choose what I liked.  I didn't even follow the recipe I came up with to a " T."  For example I didn't have green bell pepper, but I had red.  So use what you have and I am sure it will turn out great. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment