Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Yoga

Recently I learned some things about yoga that were very disputing.  Yoga is worship of  false gods!  I can't believe I have done yoga, taught it in public school and at church.  How did I miss it?  At first I was upset and felt terrible, but now I have asked God to forgive me and He has so I can move on and do my best to measure everything even exercise to God's Word.

Webster defines yoga as "a Hindu theistic philosophy teaching the suppression of all activity of body, mind, and will in order that the self may realize its distinction from them and attain liberation."

You maybe thinking that it is just exercise and my heart is not worshipping any other god.  Well, from my research online I have found that the postures in and of  themselves are serving the idols of Hinduism.

The idea of Christianity is to fill our mind with biblical truth and focus on the God who is above us. That's Christian worship. The idea of yoga is to fill your mind with nothing except to focus on yourself and try to find the god that is inside of you. From a Christian viewpoint, that's a false religion.

This makes me think of one of the Veggie Tale movies about Bob the tomato and Larry the cucumber not sing to the giant chocolate bunny.  This is the Bible story of Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-Nego found in the book of Daniel.  These men would not bow down to anyone except God.  They could have done it and not meant it in their hearts, but that's not what happened.  They choose to not worship the golden image Nebuchadnezzar set up and thus were thrown into a fire, but God saved them and lives were changed.

The lesson here is to let every part of your life worship GOD ONLY and bring others to know Him.  So maybe by choosing not to do yoga you can lead someone to Christ.

I leave you with a wise saying from Mama Bear (The Bernstein Bears), "better safe than sorry."

No comments:

Post a Comment