Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Every Bit Counts

The dicussion begans.  If you are reading The Resolution for Women along with me great if not please read through the questions and join in the discussion anyway.

The Resolution for Women


Part I: This is who I am.

Surprisingly Satisfied—A resolution to be content

Every Bit Counts

Carefully consider what the Bible says about contentment.

1 Timothy 6:6-10

If you go back and read the first of chapter 6 Paul is saying to stay away from those who argue, who envy, have corrupt minds and view godliness as a mean for personal gain. Then in vs. 6 he says, “now godliness with contentment is great gain” (NKJV). So, what can one gain? First let’s define contentment. Webster online says contentment is “the quality or state of being contented.” Webster says contented is “feeling or showing satisfaction with one's possessions, status, or situation.” I do not think I feel satisfaction with my current situation. I know what I have going for me is great, but I am always thinking about how things would be better if _____ was different. If I was content I would gain a thankful heart, the ability to receive more from this time in my life and the mind set to give of myself more. Verse 8 goes on to say we should be content when our basic needs are meet. I don’t know about you, but I want more than food, water and shelter. I desire purpose. I don’t think the desire or need for more is wrong. I think the question we have to ask ourselves is why do I want _______. Is it for personal gain and glory or to reach others for Christ. Verse 7, 9, & 10 talk about “stuff” and money. I don’t struggle with wanting the newest and best of things, but I do catch myself thinking if we had more $$ we could do more for others. However, I know God has blessed our family with a lot and I have plenty of resources, time and talents to give---I may just need to get a little creative.

Hebrew 13:5

This verse reminds me of what I say to the boys all the time, “you get what you get and you don’t throw a fit.” I need to say that to myself.

What have you been hurrying through?

I feel like we are always in a hurry. It would help if I actually got out of bed when my alarm goes off. But that’s not the hurrying we are talking about here. I hurry through the boys’ bedtime routine. I hurry through prayers and singing so they can get them to sleep and I can do whatever it is I feel is so important, but in reality the boys’ bedtime routine should be top on my list. The nights I’m not in a hurry have been great--snuggles from Jeffrey and deep talks (for a six year old) with Jackson.

What have you been hurrying to get to?

This is odd to me, but I feel like I am in a hurry to get through this season of life where the boys are so depended on me. The days are long when all you hear is Mommy I need, Mommy I want, Mommy help me, Mommy he did ____, Mommy, Mommy, Mommy. The odd part is that I desire to have more children which would keep me in this season longer.

What are some of the good parts of your experience that you’ve missed in your attempt to rush through the more difficult ones?

I know I have missed out on good things because of my hurrying, but I can’t recall what it was or maybe I haven’t realized what I missed yet.

What can you do differently today to “scrape the plate”---to gather up all the good things around you and begin enjoying the journey of your life?

Well, since I read this last night and am doing the questions tonight I can tell you what I did earlier today. I flew kites with Jeffrey and one of his friends. Now I play with the boys and their friends all the time, but in my head I usually can’t wait for the game or activity to be over. Because let’s be honest 4 yr. olds games can be mind numbing. Today, however, I chose to see the joy in Jeffrey’s excitement as he got his kite high in the air. I chose to be thankful for the sunshiny day, the wind and the time to fly kites.

No comments:

Post a Comment