Friday, February 17, 2012

No Poo Hair Cleansing

I have not shampooed my hair at all this year!! 

Yes, you read that right.  New Year's Eve 2011 I decided why not try the no "poo" hair cleansing method starting Jan. 1, 2012. 

Instead of shampoo I use 1 heaping tablespoon of baking soda mixed with ~8oz of water.  Instead of conditioner I use 2 tablespoons of lemon juice mixed with ~8oz of water.  You can google this and find many different ways of doing this.  What I do is put the baking soda and lemon juice into two separate coffee mugs and head to the shower.  I fill the baking soda mug up with water and pour over my head making sure to get around my hair line.  I then let it sit as I wash my body.  Then using my fingertips I scrub my head and rinse.  Next, I fill the lemon juice mug up with water and pour on the ends of my hair.  Do not pour on top of your head it will cause oily hair.  I let the lemon juice do its work as I let the hot water run over me.  I love HOT showers!  Rinse and your done. 

Now, if you choose to try this method know that you will have some very bad hair days as your hair adjust.  Store bought shampoos strip the natural oils from you hair causing your hair to produce more oil, thus causing you to feel the need to shampoo more often.  It is an endless cycle.  The baking soda doesn't strip your hair's oil it just cleanses.  The second week was my worst week.  So, I just wore a pony tail or braid.  Some people use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar for conditioning.  I tried both and the vinegars left my hair dry.  Lemon juice works best for me.  Your hair type of water type will determine what and how much you use. 

Why no "poo?"  Have you read the ingredients on your shampoo bottle?  I tried and couldn't.  Our skin is our biggest organ, which has many pores.  I don't like the ideal of putting unknown ingredients on or in my body.  Maybe you are a scientist and know what those ingredients are and feel fine about using them.  Great, but I will stick with baking soda and lemon juice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment